ILoveToCreate Teen Crafts: Anchor's Away Necklace T-Shirt
Anchors Away T-Shirt
Margot Potter for ILoveToCreate Teen Crafts
“Mom crafted, kid approved.”
I have a long standing love for all things nautical and am a particular fan of the French sailor look. I’ve been wearing variations of it for years. Avalon and I went shopping this weekend and she kept fawning over necklace embellished t’s and stripey sailor style tops. Thusly these concepts came together and this idea started formulating in my creative noggin.
You can change this up to suit your style and ditch the nautical theme for a rocker tattoo inspired look or a prim and proper girly look with flowers and pearls. You’ll just need a pre-made stencil (check out the Tulip Fashion Graffiti line) or a permission free image you can size and print to create your own. Tulip fabric paints and Aleene’s Fabric Fusion will help bring your idea to life. Then just sew on some jump rings and attach some chains to make a removable faux necklace look.
Striped Cotton T-Shirt Pre-Washed
Permission Free Anchor Image sized to fit scale of shirt
Tulip Slick Red Fabric Paint
Folder or thick cardstock for Stencil
Aleene’s Fabric Fusion
Sewing thread (I used red to match the anchor)
Beadalon SP Rolo Chain
2 Swivel Lobster Clasps
3 SP 10mm jump rings
2 SP 6mm jump rings
Scrapbook Adhesives EZ-Runner Tape Runner
Offray Nice and Narrow black satin ribbon with polka dots
2 Pairs Chain Nose Pliers
1. Select image. If you are making your own stencil, size it to fit scale of shirt. Print image.
2. Attach image with EZ-Runner to thick cardstock or a manilla folder. Use craft knife to cut out stencil.
Leave a bar or two around the anchor hole at the top so you don’t lose that hole when you stencil.
3. Use foam brush to stencil image on shirt on the left side. Allow to dry. Remove stencil.
4. Create a tiny bow and adhere to top of anchor with Aleene’s Fabric Fusion. Allow to dry.
5. Sew the large jump rings to the top seams on either side of the neckline of your shirt. Sew a third large jump ring to the top of the anchor on the left side of shirt.
6. Drape chains to find best length and attach the ends to lobster clasps on both sides using a small jump ring and two pairs of chain nose pliers. Thread the longer chain through the jump ring at the top of your anchor. Attach a second chain length that is slightly shorter to the jump ring at the bottom of your clasps. Remove chains when washing garment.