Free Mixed Media Jewelry Project for I Love to Create
This felt, ribbon, glass and crystal necklace is an easy project for a teen to recreate in their own personal style and has a true Haute Couture appeal. All of the high fashion houses are showing these fabric mixed media style bib necklaces this season, so I thought I’d try my hand at one that would have teen appeal. You can switch this up to suit the materials you have at hand, try washers and nuts, small metal parts, sequins, bugle beads, beads...it’s endless. (You may need to glue and then sew on items to further secure them, I prefer a low sew approach!)
It’s easy to make fabulous projects when you use I Love to Create products!
Margot Potter for I Love to CreateTeen Craft Project
Mixed Media Melange
Felt, Crystal and Fabric Necklace
Black craft felt
Black ½” thick grosgrain ribbon
Large cabochon style beads
4mm Tulip Glam-It-Up!™ Crystals
5mm Tulip Glam-It-Up!™ CrystalsBlack thread
Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
Aleene’s Stop Fraying
Aleene’s Stiffen Quick spray
ToolsGlam-It-Up!™ crystal applicator
Dress maker’s pencil
1. Mark and cut a symmetrical bib out of craft felt. Size to fit your wearer, I made mine in a shield shape. My felt shape is 6.5"x3.5".
2. Decide where to place your embellishments on the front of the felt.
3. Working around the crystals, use Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue to adhere the non-crystal embellishments. Allow to dry overnight.
4. While glue is drying, use crystal wand to heat and adhere Glam-It-Up™ crystals.
5. Cut two ribbon lengths that are long enough to be tied in a bow when worn. Mine are each approximately 2’.
6. Attach ribbon to top of felt on both sides using a needle and thread. I threaded the needle in between the ribbon and felt to conceal the knots. After you tie each ribbon off, use some Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky glue to secure the top of the sewn felt to the front of the ribbon. Allow to dry.
7. Dab a bit of Aleene’s Stop Fraying on the ends of the ribbon and allow to dry.
8. Trace and cut a second felt piece to back the first and add some structure to the design. Glue to the back of the first piece using Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky glue. Allow to dry.
9. Finish by generously spraying felt backing with Stiffen Quick and allow to dry. This will give your design structure when worn.
(Designer Tip: Felt is thick and porous, so you may need to check the glue on your embellishments several times to be sure there’s enough to secure them. Let them dry overnight so they have time to form a strong bond.)