Flip flops are the shoe of choice these days and it's pretty fun and easy to trick out your own pair. The fancier styles at the shoe stores can run upwards of 45.00!
Seriously, folks, it's a rubber shoe. Are you kidding me?!
So...being the crafty kinda gal that I am, I make my own. Here's a daisy themed idea you can take in all sorts of directions depending on the trim and flower you use. This is a great project for these last dog days of summer when the kids are all chanting an endless chorus of, "I'm bored."
(Note: Use the glue outside to ensure proper ventilation. Let the kids design and you take care of the glue.)
Avalon opted for a far less complicated project using googly eyes and mini bow ties! How cute are her shoes?!
Rubber Flip Flops1/2" Daisy Trim
2 1 1/2" Fabric Flowers
2 8mm yellow cat's eye glass pillow beads
16 4mm Tulip Glam-It-Up Iron-On Crystals
Aleene's Platinum Bond Super Fabric Glue
Aleene's Platinum Bond Glass and Bead Slick Surfaces Glue
1. Glue the trim to your straps using Aleene's Super Fabric Glue. Use a butter knife to shove the trim into the space between the flip flip strap and the shoe bed. Run a thread of glue along the bottom of the trim and press firmly on strap. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
2. While glue is curing, take a multi petal fabric flower apart by removing the stem. Save one of the piston segments and the two largest petal segments.
3. Thread one end of the clear monofilament into the bottom hole in your flower, through the two sections, the piston and your bead and then back through.
4. Tie the flower on the thong portion of your sandal using a Surgeon's knot to secure. Cut off excess monofilament. Center bead so it is flat inside of the flower and be sure to tie the knot tightly enough that the flower remains stable.
5. Since the straps are rubber, I decided not to iron the crystals on. Instead I used Aleene's glue for slick surfaces and put a small dab in the center of every other daisy and firmly pressed each crystal down.
6. Allow glues to dry for 24 hours.
Here's Avalon's Fabulous Design: